The annual Chile Roast is an NMSU Alumni Association signature event and a favorite among many alumni. The smell and taste of Mesilla Valley green chile is a staple in the state of New Mexico that NMSU alumni will always remember. A Chile Roast provides an opportunity for alumni across the nation to order Mesilla Valley green chile and have it roasted.
Alumni chapters can gather to distribute purchased chile or gather to complete the roasting process. The NMSU Alumni Association has a partnership with the New Mexico Department of Agriculture (NMDA) to ship green chile to a grocer in your area. Additionally, NMDA can provide a roaster to the grocer to roast the chile in-house if your chapter does not have access to one.
Chile Roasts held in typical years:
- Mesilla Valley
- Washington, D.C.
The Mesilla Valley Chapter looks to host a local Chile Roast during the 2nd week of August. More to come as the time gets closer!
If you are in one of these areas, make sure your contact information is updated so that you receive our regional emails with full event details.
How to Plan a Chile Roast
- DECIDE what type of event you want. You can have a gathering at the local grocer while people pick up their chile and have it roasted there, or you pick up all orders and have a gathering at a park/house to roast the chile.
- CHOOSE a date, time, and location based on the type of event you are having.
- SUBMIT an event request form to the Office of Alumni Relations. This form is especially important for Chile Roasts due to the logistics involved with ordering and shipping chile. The form will allow the Office of Alumni Relations to coordinate with NMDA, select a local grocer, take orders, send invitations, and promote the event on social media.
Before the Chile Roast:
- The Office of Alumni Relations will send an email invitation to alumni in your area. The invitation will provide a link and the steps needed to purchase chile. All funds will go directly into your chapter account.
- Keep in mind the deadline to order chile is typically two weeks prior to the event.
- A few days prior to the event, the chapter leader or event coordinator will receive a list of names and the amount of chile purchased from the Office of Alumni Relations to ensure all alumni who ordered chile receive what they purchased when they arrive at the event.
Day of the Chile Roast:
- The chapter leader/event coordinator should arrive early to make sure the roasters, tables, supplies, etc., are set up and ready to go.
- Greet guests when they arrive and ask them to sign in. You can find the event sign-in sheet here.
- Take pictures of the group or individual alumni as they come and post to social media, tagging @NMSUAlumFriends on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
- Oh, and have fun - eat lots of chile!
After the Chile Roast:
- Send the event sign-in sheet and any pictures to the Office of Alumni Relations, along with any feedback on how the event went, to the Alumni Team or call 575-646-3616.
- Since the funds generated from selling chile are deposited into the chapter event account, the chapter will reimburse the Office of Alumni Relations. Chapter leaders will see this reflected on their account report.
Have any questions?
Contact us via email or call 575-646-3616.