Watch parties are a fun and casual way to bring together fellow alumni, friends, and fans to watch Aggie Athletics sporting events in a local "Aggie headquarters" when you can't make it to the game in person. Many alumni chapters have made this a regular tradition, coming together from all around the country to tune in and support their favorite college sports team.
How to Plan a Watch Party
- DECIDE for what sporting event you would like to host a watch party. Many chapters have successful watch parties during rivalry games, like NMSU vs. UNM or UTEP.
- CHOOSE a location (sports bar, restaurant, alumni home) that carries the game, has access to the correct channel, and agrees to show it for all who attend.
- ASK if the venue would be willing to provide food or drink specials for attendees in your group, and if they are able to reserve or hold tables. Please note: Alumni chapters do not provide free food or drinks for game watch parties. Attendees will purchase their own food and drink, but many venues are willing to create specials for large groups.
- SUBMIT an event request form to the Office of Alumni Relations. This form will allow the Office of Alumni Relations to send email invitations to alumni in your area and collect RSVPs, as well as share the event on social media.
Before the Watch Party:
- The Office of Alumni Relations will send out an invitation and event reminder, but the event leader should also promote the watch party and encourage attendance. Tell alumni to bring friends!
- Promote the watch party on your chapter's social media pages and encourage members to share the event on their personal pages as well.
During the Watch Party:
- In coordination with the venue, arrive 30-45 minutes prior to the start of the game to set up tables and make sure TVs are set for the right channel. If the venue is not providing a private room or reserved seating, schedule additional volunteers to help hold tables.
- Display your Aggie gear! The Office of Alumni Relations can send you a box of Aggie gear, including pom-poms and stickers, to give out and decorate your watch party venue.
- Greet the servers/hostess staff and ask for their help in directing any Aggies to the correct seating location. Remind the bartender that all guests will have their own bar tabs.
- Greet guests when they arrive and ask them to sign in. You can find the event sign-in sheet here.
- Take pictures of the group or individual alumni as they come and post to social media, tagging @NMSUAlumFriends on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
- Plan to give brief remarks at half-time to discuss any updates or reminders for upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
After the Watch Party:
- Thank everyone for attending and make sure everyone closes their tab. Thank the bartender, servers, and/or hostess for their help with the event.
- Be sure to clean up your area and collect all of your Aggie gear.
- Send the event sign-in sheet and any pictures to the Office of Alumni Relations, along with any feedback on how the event went, at email@example.com or call 575-646-3616.
Have any questions?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 575-646-3616.